The Easter holidays are one of the busiest times on the road and it pays to know a few things in advance to ensure (as far as possible) that you arrive at your destination safely. As such, here are a few driving tips to consider before heading off on your vacation:
- Ensure you take your vehicle for a complete check-up at least two weeks before you depart for vacation. Inspect all critical elements such as brakes, engine, tyres, etc. so that any potential problems can be sorted out prior to departure.
- Ensure all passengers wear safety belts while travelling in the car and that young children are strapped in an appropriate car seat – everyone needs to be comfortable but safety comes first!
- Stick to the speed limit especially in reduced visibility situations and remember to keep a safe following distance.
- With holiday traffic congestion there may be slow moving vehicles ahead of you but remember to never overtake on a blind rise or on a bend in the road.
- Adjust your driving to suit the weather, road surface or traffic flow conditions.
- One of the main causes of road crashes is fatigue. Stay alert by getting a good night’s rest before a long journey and take a break every two hours or 200 kilometres.
- Keep your eyes on the road and don’t get distracted. The mobile phone is one of the biggest distractions. For every second you take your eyes or concentration off the road, you lose one second in your average reaction and stopping time.
- Never drink and drive!
Additionally, for peace of mind that no matter where in South Africa you go on holiday – no matter where your vehicle is – subscribing to a reputable recovery service, like Beame, will ensure your vehicle security is taken care of, so you can focus on your holiday!