Beame Protect FAQs

Pothole Assist

What is the maximum amount a client can claim for?
There is no limit to what a client can claim for – we will attempt to recover the full portion and for however many tyres are damaged.

Is there any excess payable?
No there is no excess payable

What is the discount on tyres a member will get from Tiger Wheel and Tyre?
It is 5% on tyres and accessories and up to 25% off on services such as balancing and alignment.

What supporting documentation is required?

  • Clear copy of ID Document;
  • Clear copy of Driver License;
  • The Registration Details of your Vehicle;
  • 3 Written quotes for repair and Final invoice;
  • Signed claim form (We provide)
  • If the vehicle is insured, a letter from the Insurance Company stating that the damage was not claimed from them;
  • If the vehicle is not insured, a sworn affidavit stating that there is no insurance cover on the tyre damage.

How long does a member have to report a claim?
5 working days.

Accident Assist

What does RAF stand for?
Road Accident Fund, who are a state institution that compensate road users who are injured in road accidents.

What is the FUEL LEVY?
The fuel levy is a fee that all road users pay when they put petrol into their vehicle – it is R1.54 per litre.

Who can claim?
Any person (or dependent) that has been injured in a road accident, where the accident was the fault of a 3rd party.

When a member claims, what percentage of the compensation goes towards Road Protect for the legal cost of the claim?
100% of the compensation is paid back to the member.

Can you claim if you were a pedestrian that got injured in a vehicle accident?
Yes as long as it was on the road and it wasn’t their fault.

Fines Assist

Is it guaranteed that a client will ALWAYS get a discount?

What is the discount for fines paid within 32 days?
50% discount.

Does this membership cover fines for the main member only?
Yes, but the member can take out a membership for other family members.

Does this membership cover for fines received outside the borders of SA?
No, only for fines on SA roads.

How will your points be affected when the AARTO system comes in place?
Fines Protect assist with reductions and payment of fines only and not driving points – there will be no effect on Aarto points i.e. if Aarto points are deducted, Fines Protect cannot get these reduced.

What if I receive a hand written fine?
Because this is seen as an instants summons, not all hand written fines are loaded to the notification systems. You can however send such fines to Road Protect and we will negotiate a discount.

Bail Assist

What crimes aren’t covered under Bail Assist?

  • Assault with Grievous Bodily Harm
  • Murder or attempted murder
  • Rape
  • Child abuse
  • Child pornography
  • Dealing in drugs
  • Armed robbery or robbery with aggravating circumstances
  • Treason, sabotage or subversion

Is this service only offered in SA?
Yes, it is only for bail that needs to be posted within SA.

Does this membership cover bail for the main member only?
Yes, but the member can take out a membership for other family members.

What happens if the member does not appear in court?
If you do not appear in court on your appointed date, you will be liable to pay the service provider the amount of the bail plus any legal costs incurred.

Licence Assist

Does this membership cover licences for the main member only?
Yes, but the member can take out a membership for other family members.

Does this membership cover for licences outside the borders of SA?
No, only for licenses within SA.

What happens if I lose my licence or licence documents?
If the member loses his/her disk, the system will re-calculate the amount due and the client will pay a pro rata fee (The months paid for already will be credited and the expiry date is extended to cover a 12 month period).

What reasons could there be for a licence renewal to be refused?

  • If the renewal of any other vehicle, trailer, caravan etc is outstanding.
  • If the renewal is blocked by outstanding traffic fines.
  • If a vehicle inspection certificate is required
  • If the vehicle is already licensed.
  • If a vehicle is not registered on e-Natis

Can I still make use of this service if my license had already expired?
Yes, we can still assist but will follow a manual process and might request some of the following documents, depending on the issuing authority:

  • Original certified ID copy
  • Proof of residence
  • Signed consent letter (we provide)
  • Signed ALV form (we provide)

*T&C’s apply